Queen Anne's Gate,
Client: L & H London Limited
Architect: L & H London Limited Architects division
32 Queen Anne’s Gate was built in 1704 to 1706 and was occupied as a family house from 1706 to 1932. From 1933 to 1976 it was occupied as mixed use commercial and residential.
Since 1976 it has been entirely in office use. The property is Grade 1 listed four storey Georgian town house, and lies between Queen Anne’s Gate and Birdcage Walk.
Significant remodeling in 1780’s provided for a brick bowed bay projection to the rear elevation, and in 1939 a large underground air-raid shelter was built under the rear garden.
The property is to be remodeled to provide for a family home incorporating an open plan basement kitchen and staff accommodation, ground floor drawing and study rooms, first floor dining/servery room and library, second floor master suite, with bedrooms and playroom on the third and fourth floors. The main stair extends to a new roof level terrace.
Steel frames and beams were sympathetically incorporated within the existing historical timber Bressumer beam floor plates and fabric of the building to provide for the various open planned layouts. The rear brick bay was remodeled in the basement area, replacing the wide central brick piers with a steel frame. The rear basement slab and ground floor terrace was removed and rebuilt.
A new opening was incorporated within the basement slab which provided access to a new stair, linking to the existing underground air-raid shelter.